SERVPRO Safety Tips: Space Heater Dangers
Every year, over 25,000 house fires can be attributed to the incorrect usage of space heaters, according to Consumer Reports.
Fighting the cold weather using these machines can be safe — referring to NFPA’s (National Fire Protection Association) “Heater Checklist” will guide you into making the correct decisions to ensure a safe home/environment for your space heater to do its work.
Some of these tips include, but are not limited to:
- When buying a space heater, make sure that the unit has a seal from a qualified testing laboratory on it.
- Keeping children away from these heaters will limit bodily injury and poor usage of the units.
- Make sure the unit is placed on a solid, flat surface.
- Allow at least 3 feet of space between the space heater and anything else, including humans. Items that tend to catch fire are: curtains, bedding or upholstered furniture.
- Turn off the units when you leave the room or before you go to bed.
If your property has been damaged due to a fire and you suspect that your space heater was the cause, call your local SERVPRO franchise for all of your restoration needs.
-Content by Rob D’Emilio Jr.