SERVPRO Safety Tips: Dealing with Fire Damage
According to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), an estimated average of 355,400 homes had caught fire and were responded to by U.S. fire departments from 2012 to 2016. These fires contributed to millions of dollars in damages, often leaving homeowners in the unfortunate situation of dealing with the wreckage.
When your home falls victim to a fire, SERVPRO wants you to know how to handle the situation effectively and by limiting the amount of harmful contaminants and soot you interact with.
- Try to limit the amount of foot traffic in your home, for moving around frequently can further embed soot particles into your carpet and upholstery.
- Gather old linens and dry towels to place on rugs, carpets and upholstery in high, foot traffic areas.
- Soot on your hands can be easily spread throughout your home, so be sure to keep them clean to avoid soiling walls, upholstery, etc.
- Try to wash any walls or painted surfaces — or shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture — without first contacting your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to the fire, for they may be contaminated and not safe to ingest.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet; the wiring may be faulty and could pose negative health effects, like electric shock and secondary damage due to increased air movement.
Instead of possibly causing further damage to your home after a fire, or putting your health at risk, call your local SERVPRO Franchise Professionals to take care of it for you. Our team will help you every step of the way, providing top-tier work and ERBs (Emergency Response Bags) for your convenience.
For more information about our fire restoration services, or for information regarding our ERBs, call your local SERVPRO franchise today!
- Content by Rob D'Emilio Jr.